Thursday, August 30, 2012

Long Overdue Post



This is much overdue. Things have been pretty busy around here; in fact, this was literally the busiest summer I've had in 5 years! And here it is, almost September. Time really flies when you need it to slow down.

A lot has happened since the last post. I traveled to MO for two baby showers, a wedding, and some family time before heading to FL for a lovely week on the beach in Destin. As soon as Stuart and I returned to Austin, I started my Kodaly certification course that I am completing as part of a Masters program at Texas State University. The two and a half weeks spent there were a complete whirlwind and I was then forced to spend my remaining weeks off before school playing catch-up on all the things I couldn't get done earlier in the summer... baby room, curriculum planning, nanny hunting, etc.

I'll start with my time in Missouri. My friend Nicole got married on June 22nd and I was honored to be a part of her bridal party. She and I have known each other since we were toddlers, having grown up as neighbors. Nicole is the closest thing I ever had to a sibling; we loved, played, and fought like sisters, so to be a part of her wedding was really special for me. I flew into St. Louis on June 20th and my friend Ashley picked me up from the airport and whisked me to her house for a baby shower. She hosted a nice little shower for some of my college friends and other Missouri friends that I haven't seen in a while. It was great to catch up with all of them and they completely spoiled me and Baby! The next day my mom drove up from Jackson and picked me up so we could head to Springfield for Nicole's wedding. The weekend was a total blur (as weddings usually are), but I cherished the time I got to spend with her.

The day after the wedding, my mom and I headed back to Jackson and on Sunday my mother-in-law and sister-in-law Lara threw me another shower! This one was for family and had a much bigger turn-out considering the amount of family I have. Even some of Stuart's family was in town at the time so they were able to come too. The shower was set up really cute, complete with a cantaloupe baby in a watermelon bassinet! I wish I had pictures to post here of both showers, but I didn't take pictures at either one and I don't know of the people who did... perhaps I'll get a hold of some one day. This shower was where Baby and I made out like bandits... people must love buying baby gifts because they certainly didn't hold back! I spent the next few days organizing and squeezing it all into two suitcases so it could make the trip to FL and then TX with me. Some of it still had to be left behind at my parents' house, but nothing we can't live without!

I spent the rest of my Missouri days enjoying time with my parents and friends and family that we don't get to see nearly often enough. It's the kind of thing that tends to make one homesick...  But it wasn't long before all the Knowlans headed to Destin from their various parts of the country for vacation. Stuart met us there too and we spent a wonderfully lazy week on the beach and soaking up time with all the siblings and nieces and nephews. My sister-in-law Meg was nice enough to take some maternity pictures for us and we couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Meg - you don't give yourself nearly enough credit, my dear! Here are a few of our favorites:













 

We begrudgingly headed back to dry, beach-less, and grossly hot Austin on July 7th, completing the 12-hour drive in one day. I hate long trips in the car - they turn me into a whiny, sleepy, and cranky toddler version of myself. But I was willing to make a sacrifice on this occasion so I could get back to Hutch and Izzy. I'd been without my dogs for 3 weeks and I couldn't believe how excited I was to see them again. So Stuart and I persevered (meaning I dealt with my hatred of long trips and he persevered through my occasional moodiness). Meanwhile, Hutch and Izzy were probably happily terrorizing the dog-sitter's cat, having completely forgotten we even existed. It was a happy reunion, though. :) I started my Kodaly course on Monday the 9th. I knew it would be intense, but it definitely kicked my butt. I learned more about teaching music in 60 hours of that class that I did in my entire college career, so I'm really glad I made the decision to do this and complete my Masters while we're here in Austin. The program is hard to come by and I feel like it's another reason God put us here, so while it may be the hardest thing I've done,I will always be grateful to have had the opportunity. The financial boost and resume stats I'll get from completing it will be quite nice too!!!

After the Kodaly course finished, I went back to nannying for a couple of weeks to help out the family and get some extra cash before the school year started. I spent my last day with Jacob and Kate thinking how hard it was going to be to leave them. And then I remembered... I'll have one of my own to love on very, very soon! Before I knew it, my summer was over and I was getting prepared for school. I'm very happy to be back at my school and relieved that I will not be juggling two jobs this year. I'm so grateful that my part-time schedule will allow me to be at home with our son half time. Stuart and I hired a nanny, completed the baby room, and registered at the hospital over the past couple of weeks. All systems are a go! Which is a good thing, because there's only 6 weeks left!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment