Sunday through Wednesday of Week 18 dragged by as I anxiously awaited our appointment. We couldn't wait to see our baby. The only peek we've had at our little one are the sonogram pictures from Week 8, in which the baby closely resembles a goldfish cracker. We knew that at this ultrasound appointment, we would see a fully-formed human being and we were really hoping that we would have the privilege of watching him or her move around, and boy, did our baby deliver!!!
The minute the tech found the baby, I was pretty sure I had just identified a spare part... but she was trying to get a particular angle so it was really a quick judgement and I let it go. We oohed and ahhed over the baby for a moment before she switched angles again and gave us a view of the little bitty baby butt. And there was no mistaking what we saw. She waited a second before announcing, to see if we had figured it out and I confirmed that we had by a very surprised reaction. I can't remember exactly what I said, but I know it was something along the lines of "Whaaaaaat?!" I was shocked. I just knew, KNEW we were having a girl. In fact, just the day before I had told my mom "I'm 98% sure it's a girl. I feel like this sonogram isn't to identify the gender but to confirm that it's a girl." Well, all I can say is God is good, because I love surprises and this was the biggest one I've had in a long, long time. Of course, we didn't care in the slightest whether our baby was a girl or a boy and would have been thrilled either way. But I think we were both excited to get such a surprise (Stuart had no prediction, but he had been subjected to my many it's-a-girl comments) and enjoy the moment.
Our baby boy continued to entertain us throughout the sonogram. He wiggled, kicked, stretched, and got the hiccups. We spent 20 minutes laughing and smiling constantly... it was such a happy occasion and one I hope we'll always remember.

Today started Week 21. I cannot believe I'm over halfway through this pregnancy!!! I get more and more anxious to meet our little one every day but I'm trying to slow down and enjoy the pregnancy because after all, a first-time pregnancy is pretty exciting too! Over the past few weeks my belly has grown quite a bit but I think you'll agree that there was a huge jump between Week 18 and Week 20. Unfortunately, we never got around to the Week 19 shot, but I would be curious to see it because Stuart and I both think my bump made its big transformation just this week.
Week 18
Week 20
Other than feeling a bit like I'm carrying a huge water balloon around, I feel excellent! This pregnancy has treated me very kindly thus far and to be honest, that's not what I expected. Old wives' tales say that's typical for carrying a boy and it is definitely ringing true for me! Now, here's hoping it keeps up, especially since I've got the hottest summer of my life lying ahead. :)
Our rambunctious little boy is on the move CONSTANTLY. He is already making it difficult for me to fall asleep sometimes! For the past week, I have felt him rolling, punching, or kicking every single day. It's so amazing! Stuart and I have both been anxious for him to feel the baby moving and I have been calling him over every time I feel movement, only to have baby take a break. I keep telling Stuart that he has a calming effect on our son and that it will come in very handy once the little guy has arrived. :) That changed this past Friday, though. Baby was going crazy in there, so Stuart rushed out of the office and pushed around until he got a little "bump" in response. I wasn't sure that it would work again, but he kept trying and got another kick! It was such a neat moment and I know there will be many more before it's all said and done. Every little milestone like this makes it more real and we're so excited to become parents!


So much fun to read about your experience! We can't wait to meet our new grandson!
ReplyDelete