Friday, June 4, 2010

Stuart Leaves for Texas



Today was the day... Stuart headed out at 5:00 this evening for Texas. We're both excited about this internship and what the experience will do for him. But it was really difficult having him leave. I've been a little sad about it this week and have felt a little ridiculous. I kept reminding myself that our entire pre-marriage relationship was long-distance and that there are people we love who have to be apart for much longer periods of time in much harder circumstances. But then today when he left, I just let myself be sad because this is the only experience we've had with having to be apart for an extended amount of time post-marriage. (And for that, I'm very thankful and admire those of you who have dealt or will deal with it often.) I guess I assumed it wouldn't be all that different from our dating days. There were a few things I didn't take into account:

1. Marriage completely changes things. Seems obvious right? But I didn't even realize how much closer we'd grown.
2. I'm 13 hours away from home. And for the first time since we moved, I'm feeling homesick.
3. I'm not used to having to do everything by myself. Feel free to laugh. I'm laughing as I type it. But really... I had to cook and clean up tonight. You take your help for granted until it's gone. :)
4. I have no real distractions. I don't have classes, work, and homework to take up my evenings. I guess this is a good excuse to go the gym frequently. I'm hoping that idea becomes more appealing.

The dogs only made things worse. Stuart said they were fine today as he packed, but they both became very nervous when we started zipping things up (see pictures) and loading the car.Izzy made a run for it twice - sprinting around the yard and leaping into the car - and had to be lured back inside with treats. Hutch patiently waited and watched like the great dog that he is, but was physically trying to block us as we said goodbye at the door. Izzy whined as she watched Stuart leave and then they both sat at the window for the next five minutes. But they've completely calmed down since realizing I'm here to stay.


Izzy stepped into Stuart's bag... "Don't leave!!!"



I did do one thing to kick off my new alone time. I made a big taco salad. The kind Stuart wouldn't like. I'm celebrating the return of ground beef in my house. :) I drank a homemade margarita and took the dogs for a walk. (Or rather, Hutch took me for a walk and dragged Izzy along.) I plan on going to bed early and taking it easy the rest of the weekend. I need to gear myself up for the next week of school anyway. I'm going to have to scrounge up the energy for not one, but two field days. Yuck. Double yuck.

Stuart should arrive in Knoxville tonight around midnight. He'll head out early tomorrow morning and have a 10 hour drive to Dallas. Please pray for a safe trip!

4 comments:

  1. Courtney, your post makes my heart hurt for you and Stuart. I know how hard it is to say goodbye. You're right - marriage does change things completely! And the dogs do make it worse. (The pic of Izzy in Stuart's bag was so sweet and sad at the same time!) I also think you're right in letting yourself be sad. Being apart is always hard, no matter how long the separation! We are so excited to see you here in MO in a few weeks, though. Audrey can't stop talking about it. I'm praying for you guys, though, and call me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking about ya! You've got the right idea...when Spencer is away I like to cook things that he doesn't like and watch girly movies! Shopping during the day helps too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care and know that we are praying for you. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks. And then it is on to Montana!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy all the ground beef that you can! :) Vacation we be here before you know it! Excited to see you very soon!!

    ReplyDelete